Address Book Feature


Address Book Button.png

Note: To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and altered confidential information in this case study. All information in this case study is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of UPS. 

Some Background

As an UX intern at UPS Capital, my main duty is to work on Parcel Pro Mobile. Parcel Pro’s mobile app allows you to ship and insure high-value goods from your smart phone. Since I joined the team in July 2017, I've worked on lots of interesting projects but one of the tasks I was given was to redesign the address book feature on the "Create a Shipment" page. 

For this project, I conducted the research, designed wireframes in Sketch, built the prototype in Origami,and created design specs for developers. I do have a mentor guiding me throughout my internship. She is my go-to person for any help, but ultimately, I owned the design of this project. 

Usability Challenge

Customers were frustrated with the address book functionality on the "Create a Shipment" page. This feature was poorly designed and users were complaining about it through our feedback form.


To clarify, the app had a feature called "Express Contacts" where people saved their top addresses to. This feature came in the form of a picker where they had to individually scroll through each name to select the one they wanted. However, this feature failed to to take both the scale of our user base and data into account. While this might have worked for individuals and small businesses, the app also served large manufacturers and distribution centers who had hundreds of stored addresses. As a result, searching for an addresses became a pain point for many clients. 

Process + Tools

I started by reviewing the input fields on the current address form to decide what data needed to be displayed in the address book. The previous address book only displayed a contact's "Nick Name." For the new address book it was important to display contact's full name, company, and address.

I opened Sketch and began exploring different ways of organizing this information. I used Origami Studio to prototype the user flow and showcase animated interactions. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 1.31.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 2.16.53 PM.png
Getting feedback from both our engineer and my mentor

Getting feedback from both our engineer and my mentor

The Result



Throughout this project I had to make sure that whatever I designed was feasible for our engineers given their timeline. Since UPS operates in an agile environment, I had one week to design the feature and get approval by the team. Working with engineering constraints meant that I was constantly forced to consider the time and cost it would take to redesign this feature. It was a great learning opportunity.